Wednesday 8 June 2011

Tangled Yarn

I have always seen knitting as a journey, not just about the finished the project, but how you came to be there.It has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I grew up surrounded by knitters, sitting by my grandmothers’ side with my own needles and wool, I would watch in awe as she would knit the most amazing blankets. Blankets that would reflect her mood, her likes, the love she had of colour and places she had been. Mine however were just plain holey, my grandmother had such patience, endlessly casting on for me. 

My mum, I guess down to a different generation was a very different knitter.I seem to remember she made a lot of sweaters. My fondest memory of my mum is the precious time she sent passing on her knowledge to me, teaching me all about shaping and selvedge.We would visit the local wool shop together, mum browsing the patterns with me then helping to choose the wool. I loved those times, it’s where my desire to have my own shop came from and never left. Sadly in 1989 my mum passed away and my journey came to an abrupt stop. 
 
 
My journey, and my love for knitting kick started again with the arrival of my own daughter. I stumbled across the most luxurious baby yarn and that was it, I was instantly hooked and have never looked back.
 
 
Tangled Yarn is my love for fine yarn and beautiful knitting accessories. Mum, grandmother, I dedicate this shop to you both, amazing women who have greatly influenced who I am today. I hope also to pass on my love and knowledge of knitting to my own daughter. 
 
 
My journey never really did stop after all; it was just resting knowing there was a lot more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment